If you were rear-ended by a driver who was texting while driving, you may be eligible to claim compensation for your injuries and damages. Regardless of who may be at fault, you still have legal rights that will protect you during your accident claim. After a collision, there are several crucial steps to follow if you are involved in car accident where a distracted driver has rear-ended you. Call 911 immediately and report the accident to the police. If anyone has been injured in the accident seek medical assistance as soon as possible. Even if you are an attentive driver, if the distracted driver has not seen your vehicle, they are most likely to violently crash into your vehicle at a high-speed resulting in vehicle damage and injuries. Hence, once the investigating officer arrives at the scene of the accident, ensure that provide the police with all the minute details that led up to the collision and obtain a copy of the police report.
In addition, collect photographs of the scene of the accident including the position of the vehicles, the impact and subsequent damage, skid marks, your injuries, debris resulting from the accident, and so on. Also, ensure to contact your insurance company. In most rear-end collision cases, the other driver’s insurance will most likely pay for your damages but depending on the state in which the accident took place, your insurance coverage may also be applicable. The insurance companies representing the defendant have their client’s interests in mind and may try to undermine your compensation by pushing some of the fault on you. Hence, it is best to discuss your case with a personal injury lawyer before talking to the insurance companies.
Tips to Avoid Getting Rear-Ended
You cannot predict what the other driver will do but you can take some precautions on your own to ensure that you are not involved in a rear-end collision.
- Always try to maintain a safe distance around your vehicle or a space cushion that will allow you to have more time to react in any unexpected scenarios.
- Leave about 2-3 car lengths of space between your vehicle and the one in front of you. Increase this distance during inclement weather, or if the road conditions are slippery.
- Always stay vigilant while on the road and glance at your sideview and rearview mirrors for approaching cars. If you notice another vehicle speeding behind you, or
tailgating you try to merge into another lane to avoid any possible collision.
- Approach traffic signs and lights gradually and brake slowly instead of suddenly as the hard brake can take the driver behind you by surprise.
- Check your lights and brakes regularly to ensure that they are functioning properly.
How Can A Good Car Accident Attorney Help You?
You do not deserve to suffer from injuries and damages owing to someone else’s carelessness. Experienced and knowledgeable car accident attorneys can assist you in collisions involving driving through a red light by reviewing your case and informing you about your legal options. Moreover, a seasoned lawyer will help you get on your road to recovery and ensure that you obtain proper remuneration that you rightfully deserve.